How to get your business on Google maps.
So you want to know how to get your business on Google maps? Whether you have a shop premises or an office based business, it is important that people can easily find you. Here I will explain exactly what you need to put your business on the map!
Which address do you want on Google maps?
Before we start, it is important the address you use online is consistent across the internet. So ensure you know the exact address and format you are going to use. This is important because Google will start to link addresses that are the same. This way even if there isn’t a backlink to your website, Google will still recognise the relationship. Eg. Google Inc, 1-13 St Giles High St, London, WC2H 8LG might be seen differently to Google Inc, 1 – 13 St Giles High Street, Camden, WC2H8LG. Its my personal opinion that Google is clever enough to even recognise if the address is similar, but it is still recommended that you play it safe and keep it as consistent as you can.
Lets really put your business on the map! (Google maps, that is!)
Ok, now we can start! To add your business to Google maps, you are going to need a Google account. I expect if you have done even the most basic SEO on your website, then you will already have a Google account. If you don’t, go to the Google Account logon page and sign up.
- Go to “Google my business” and click “start now”. – I should probably say at this point this actually does more than just puts your business on Google maps. It also gives you the opportunity to tell Google (and your customers) more about your business.
- Log in with your Google account credentials, if you haven’t already. You will now be presented with a form, you will need to complete the details as accurately as you can and click continue.
- If you selected the option for delivering goods or services, you need to set the area that you cover and click continue.
- If you didn’t select the goods or services option you will be asked confirm you are authorised to manage this business and click continue. Check with the business owner if you are not sure if you are authorised.
- You are now asked how you would like the verification code, select your desired option.
- You will now be sent the verification code by your desired method. Follow the instructions supplied with the verification code to complete the process.
Get the most from Google my business.
You also have the opportunity to provide more information within the “Google my business” portal. Add as much additional information as you can, it is highly recommended. Not only will this help Google understand more about your business. It will also give your customers far more information directly from the Google search page.